Pages

Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Road to Degree Show - 2



As promised here are some images from my labours - the first giving you a sense of the scale and the second being a detail of some of the recent work done on it.

Which of course means that I have started filling my panoramic vista of white canvas with colour. In fact any colour I could get my hands on.

I figured the best way to deal with white expanses was to make them no longer white and since I was playing psychedelic music quite loudly at the time I grabbed every vibrant pulsating colour I could and threw it onto the canvas. White gone. Job done.

Or not.

Because now, instead of an expanse of intimidating white I have this seething mass of confusion in colour - great if I am playing acid jazz but not so good for my degree show. I am sure I could come up with some overly intellectual reason for it and impress anyone who looked at it with complex philosophies and concepts but it wouldn't get away from the fact that it looks like someone vomitted a rainbow onto my painting.

Therefore I find myself wrestling with this spectrum to turn into something less of a disneyland murder scene. I know there are some of you out there that may be thinking - a dinseyland murder scene? Sounds interesting. - well you can stop. I refer to it in the way that the murder scene would look after you had got rid of the bodies, environment and objects and were just left with some pore washer woman scrubbing away at watery colours.

The detail above is my attempt to reign in the chaos of colour into something coherent. I will post more as they develop.

Tomorrow I have a tutorial with my course tutor and it will be interesting to see what she thinks.

As a final note I will ask, does anyone remember those glasses you could get in the 80's that made all the lights have a spectrum sparkle around them?

No comments: